Sunday, April 10, 2011

I learn more about Michelangelo's David Il Gigante

Am reading Chris Widener's "The Angel Inside" (Michelangelo's secrets for following your passion and finding the work you love"

The opening chapter talks about the David - the masterpiece that I thought I'm familiar with. What struck me was the 'written conversation':
"... I assume, then, you saw Michelangelo's work the David - Il Gigante, as they call it - The Giant?"
"Yeah, sure. That's one of the biggies, right? No pun intended,"
"Yes, it is. The biggest in my opinion. And tell me, Thomas, what do you learn from the David?"
"Learn? Uh, I didn't learn anything. I saw it. He was huge. Naked. It was great. I left."
"Oh my, you didn't learn anything from Il Gigante?"

That struck me... hey, I "know" David as what the character, Thomas knows "Huge. Naked. It was great."
Hm... what else? I'm curious...
A quick search in the internet, came to this website, "The Altas Society"
( http://www.ayn-rand.info/cth--838-Michelangelos_David.aspx )
It tells me more... something I was not aware I amissed... but this background is definitely something very helpful, when one day, I stand in front of the statue at Galleria dell'Accademia:

Interesting points extracted from the Art Society, "Michelangelo's David by Roger Donway":
  •  Michelangelo's David possesses no supernatural powers—neither divine strength nor divine foresight. 
  • He does not know how the battle will end. 
  • He squints into the sun, seeing his enemy approach from afar. He is vulnerable, and he is apprehensive. 
  • But he knows what he must do, and he is determined. More than determined: 
  • His face exhibits that combination of strength and fierce intensity that Italians call "terribilita."
In The World of Art, Robert Payne wrote: "The David expressed a pagan reliance on strength, cunning, and intelligence. A muscular youth, with thick curling hair falling over the nape of his neck, with an expression of great power and refinement, he stands there like a god who has descended to earth in order to chastise the mighty and to tear kings from their thrones. His brows are knit, his eyes are watchful, the youthful body stands in absolute composure, conscious of its own strength, its own power to accomplish whatever the intelligence demands. . . ."

No comments: