Friday, June 16, 2023

2023 June - Sessions - Today @ Apple @ Jewel

Decided to pick up some basic tips on the products: iPad Air (5th generation) and iWatch (SE) this holiday, especially when I felt quite handicapped when handling the new devices. Though I've used the iPad for more than 10 years. Well, my 2nd iPad (i.e. the iPad Air) lasted for more than 9 years, the features that come with the 5th generation is definitely a far cry (for me) from what I used it, especially when it's equipped with an Apple Pencil. 



On 2 June 2023: Apple Online Training, an one-hour online session over the phone an 
Glad that I chose to have the session before I depart for my trip as it offers some very useful tips. 
Initially, I thought it was a face-to-face online session but it turned out to be (really) via the phone, and screen control where both the trainer and me could interact through the same screen. Of course, the trainer is a very experienced one who could immediately diagnose what went wrong or preempt what I would do. I'm impressed. 

The MOST valuable tip is, use the Apple Pencil as a pencil. Do not treat it like a status, which could be confusing. By doing so, it helps to connect to our prior 'pencil' use experience, which I think it's easier (when the 'role' is more well defined, though more compartmentalise). 

Also discovered (and understood) some helpful features that come with the pencil, e.g.. we could write the URL instead of typing, and how a single stroke (straight down) could join 2 words or split a word. Of course, the anyhow scribble is the command to erase what's wrongly written. Nevertheless, these apply only when it's in the mode when the written text becomes a typed text; not the handwritten kind (which we'll still need to find the eraser to do the job).

More importantly, I need to know I should not be bothered with the animation at the "General"/"Settings" page as it's something that would stay there.

Apart from having the main objective achieved, I learnt that the iPhone comes with a phone screening feature (which has been there for a long time) that silences phone calls from unfamiliar number (to reduce spam calls). That got me appreciate the iPhone (& its features) more! Well, when the number could not get through, one should be smart enough to send an email or WhatsApp message if it really requires my attention. 
How to set/ Where to find the setting: Settings > Phone > Silence Unknown Callers 



On 15 June 2023: Getting Started with iPad
A useful session that I wished I would have attended the session before the trip.
On the other hand, could be a blessing in disguise, i.e. after experiencing some challenges, the need to attend the session is more obvious.

Some useful tips uncovered in this session are
  • To shutdown (normal) the iPad, press top solo and top side button at the same time.
  • To force shutdown the iPad when the screen was frozen is not as difficult as I went through during the trip. Frankly speaking, I was quite upset on the day when I was stuck with the camera app and eventually the screen was frozen in my Day 2 in Sydney. The YouTube clips were not that helpful though I eventually managed to force shutdown after several attempts. The truck is, quickly press the top volume button, followed by the bottom one, then hold down the solo button on top for a few seconds. That is so hassle free!
  • To screenshot, hold top side button then press top solo button to shut down.
  • Came to know that there are 3 microphones in the iPad - the dot on top (in- between the speakers), the one built-in with the USB-C charging outlet, and the dot below the camera (back of the iPad). 
  • When camera is activated, teh side buttons serve to "shoot".
  • Configuration of the shortcut panel after swiping right on screen, to put in the most frequently used app.
  • Understanding the purpose of the APP LIBRARY that is automatically generated in the last page (be it in the iPad or iPhone) and how it works - it helps me to appreciate its existence 
  • Multiple selection when organising the desktop - to hold down and slightly drag down/ out of place for the 1st app icon, followed by using another finger to tap the remaining (desired) icons
Though I already know some of the features, there's always something new to learn and take away. 
Well, I would still forget those lesser used features - learning is always learns driven. But the awareness would be useful when the need arises. At least, I know that the device is capable of doing something that I need at that point of time.




On 16 June 2023: Personalising Your Apple Watch
Received the watch as a lucky draw prize in 2022 October/ November staff dinner. Did not unbox it until February this year when the strap of the fitness watch (from HPB) broke. Was not so keen to start using it as its operation is dependent on the battery, which means its life span is determined by the life span of the battery which would depict over time; it also means need to get the relevant charger to charge the battery! 

Nevertheless, can't just leave the expensive watch there. I was a bit clumsy when first started using it. Only learnt the simplest features - I actually had to ask advice from a colleague - even the simplest setting like how to turn off the noise alert from the watch so that it would not sound in the middle of the singing of the national anthem!  

Saw this "advertisement" after the iPad session, and decided to sign up to learn more about the iWatch, though having to make another trip to the Apple Jewel store. Fortunately, the timing was right and it's not that far from home.

In the session, I learnt that we cannot decouple the iWatch and iPhone. The controls are mostly easily done via the iPhone app: iWatch, which I had not been bothered to explore though sometimes it prompted for updates. 

The first thing that caught my eye was the trainer's watch wall paper - the animated/ jumping mini-mouse. Now, I know this wall paper setting can be much more easily done through the phone.

In addition, I also get to figure how how to stop the default notifications coming from the watch, which could be quite distracting and irritating, sometimes. Hooray! Of course, from another perspective, I have these inconveniences because I'm using an iWatch. It would not have been an issue if I'm just using a normal watch! 

One very useful tip that I learn is using the iWatch to ping for my iPhone if I could not find it. 
This would be the most useful feature I learn from this session! Probably something that I could share with others :P

LINK to clip


One other interesting fun stuff is the Walkie talkie feature. It works just like a phone! 

Glad that I found this session, that happened so timely. 








No comments: