Thursday, May 31, 2007

Reflection: Workshop - HOD Workshop (3rd run)

Some things I did thatI thought were good...
(in fact, I did some of these because I anticipate I would forget, since I was conducting the workshop solo... so have to depend on the participants' memory)


  • Housekeeping: Do not undermine it... though it should not be placed upfront. If this is not managed well, the entire workshop will be clouded with some 'chaos' - which, I personally don't like chaos. I would like to see smooth processes. I don't like hiccups because that will be reaction. Being proactive to nitty-gitty things are important so that we can focus in managing questions arise from the workshop 'content' itself. This is part of 'Preparing Instructional Context'.
  • Organising the Participants: This time, did not group participants by colour. In fact, they could pick and choose the colour of card. Similar to the past runs, there are always happy greetings and catching up with each other in the HOD workshops. Why? Because they know each other. Why, despite the fact they are from different schools? Well, I guess that's where we see the 'cluster' system works! It really helps to build the network. By 'creating' the opportunity for the HODs of the subjects to meet and work, cluster activities become a 'gathering' time - in particular, for those clusters where people gel well. This is something less obvious in the teachers' workshop - 'cos there are fewer cluster-based activities or meetings among teachers in the same cluster. I guess, the 'hi's that went round the room liven it and makes the place warmer, too...
  • Expectations: This time, didn't use the blog at all... though a bit worry if I could manage such 'free-flow' talk well... But I think, at the end of it, I did. In fact, I tapped on the inputs of the participants to clarify the objective of the workshop and highlight to them some things we would touch on in the workshop. I thought it was a good start when the first participant shared about using 'rubrics' to assess the school - initial thought I had: "Oops!!!" that's not what we have for the workshop... fortunately, was quick enough to 'zoom in', to explain that BY(i)TES is a tool for the school to self-evaluate its implementation of ICT programme school-wide while baseline is one of the components that has an impact on the outcome of the bigger picture. Phew! Of course, the next one mentioned something that is related to baseline and integration at department level-wide. So, it gave me the opportunity to point out that, yes, in this workshop, they'll find resources that's useful and relevant for integration. Then goes the last one... who mentioned something quite generic...
  • In fact, the participants seemed to be interested to be engaged in discussions on issues that are close to their heart, and grabbed the opportunity to sound their concern that "IP is supporting IT"... which I hope I have successfully to clarify that it is "IT supporting IP", and that, one (secondary) objective to achieve to this - however, on the principle of "知己知彼”, so that we can supply all the HOD/IT needs so that the latter can better support the HOD/IPs! In fact, HP brought up a good point: ie. By going through the thorough process of planning, it helps the HOD/IP to negotiate for resources! Yes, in fact, looking back, what interesting role I had assume in the past - as HOD/IT and HOD/Maths - don't they have different agenda, conflicting interests? Well, see from another perspective, it's more like how each can tap on what the other party can offer and generate benefits for both.
  • Having an HOD/IT in the workshop helps... I think it's part of buying in of ideas, and things are straight from the horses mouth. Realise one thing: No matter how well-verse we are in matters to be communicated, the 'hat' we wear has an impact on the degree of reception among the participants. On the other hand, I hope that the HOD/IT will help spread the word of some good things we are trying to do for HODs/IT, too...
  • Learning Gaps: There's still room for improvement. Despite of the clear instruction - I thought it was clear - 'cos it comes in two forms - visual and verbal; still a group that moved on to fill up other columns. The 'moving' around helps to clarify things.
  • ICT Tools: First time facilitate this component - it took up quite a bit of time, although only asked inputs from 4 individuals (among all the groups). In fact, am impressed that one of the participants, Carissa, able to tell how the 'role' of the tool changes when used at different juncture. That "Division" template. She could rightly point out that, when it is used as the introduction of the topic, it serves more as a Constructive tool whereas, if it's used after the teacher has taught the class, it becomes an Instructive tool as it is able to provide immediate feedback. Certainly, when used after the topic's teaching, it can double up to reinforce the concepts taught. I thought, this is the part where we could share with participants our experiences and what we armed with. In fact, I feel good after facilitating this session :D
  • Another thing I thought I did well was, despite having to struggle with the limited amount of time, I managed to update their stuff in the wiki and gave them feedback. I guess that helps in pushing the quality a little more...

On the whole, I thought it was a workshop pretty well conducted :D OK, not 老黄卖瓜,自卖自夸. I personally felt good :D

No comments: