Monday, July 11, 2011

Where does the remaining 15% go to?

Today attended the 2nd session of the West Zone HODs' Symposium...

The concluding session when all participants supposed to come back to share how the learning in the previous session has been applied in a real world problem (in the school context, of course). Well, we were supposed to post the "Challenge" in the online portal... However, I didn't participate in the portal although I've no problem accessing it... all because, if I were to apply my learning into a real situation, then I think the online portal is too open and is not suitable for possibly sensitive issues surfaced in the school.

Indeed, this is something that I think we ought to think through carefully when dealing with the use of online 'open' portal for matters that could be "sensitive" to the organisation.

While I didn't update the scenario online ~ i.e. the Challenge, and the vital behvaious identified, I think I managed to apply what's read (i.e. the knowledge) in the book and applied it when dealing with the situation :)


At the end of the session, another pleasant surprise for the heads who attended the session, when each was presented with a little card with words of encouragement from their school leader :)

This is similar to what we had at the bad of our name tag in the first session.

This time, my card says...
Control is not leadership; management is not leadership; leadership is leadership. If you seek to lead, invest at least 50% of your time in leading yourself - your own purpose, ethics, principles, motivation, conduct. Invest at least 20% leading those with authority over you and 15% leading your peers." 
- Dee Hock

The key emphasis is on self ~ seeking clarity within self ~ I define my purpose of what I'm doing, what I want to do, or better still, what I intend to do... and I have to standby what I have defined. I lay down the principles. These are important guides that determines how I want to reach the target identified. Of course, who motivates me? What drives me? Ethics and conduct, and I think which includes values, too! What I value most?

Hm... taking into account the other 2 numbers, where has the reminding 15% mysteriously gone to?
I wonder.

No comments: