Sunday, March 01, 2009

Eat that Frog - Revisiting

Bought this book last March... it's one of those self management book . The full title is "Eat That Frog! 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time" by Brian Tracy. Ha! The title looks attractive, isn't it? Yes, yes... how to kill procrastination? I like to procrastinate! Yes! Especially when it comes to something I'm not too sure... I don't quite like to do... hahaha... like reading a book, writing minutes!!! hahahaha.... colleagues who know me would like this...

In fact, made an effort to read the 117-page book... oh yes, by doing so, I was trying to eat one of the frogs! hahaha... managed to go all the way to p43! There's where my last pencil mark found! Yes, have this happen of penning down little notes or highlighting text... Oh yes, I even have a blog post on that - my initial thoughts! Then... I stopped! Er... maybe should say, the frog won! It survived! Till I'm re-visiting it again... one year later... starting off with the audiobook. Yes, I thought perhaps that helps me to continue the frog feast... but also help me to chew and get the essence out of it.

Yes... lots and lots of frogs... but many arises because of procrastination - from non-urgent upgraded to urgent things to handle! It's not that I'm not productive, but, it's procrastination! Ha! What a good word to blame!

... some phrases came across... that struck me deeper now, compared to my first attempt...

One of the very worst uses of time is to do something very well that need not be done at all (p10)
Yes, this is the most cruel reality! Well, if it's something one likes to do...one would normal put in all the time and effort (and soul!) into it... sometimes lost its way and deviate from its original/intended course... as a result, time and effort are wasted! This is most cruel when there's no way to tap on this outcome at all! Hence, clarity and focus are very important in the direction one undertakes!

Six-P Formula - Proper Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance (p15)
Yes, it takes time to plan - to plan means to do extensive planning, sometimes. To look at both macro and micro views. Only when one has a full picture - that's when contingency plans and the "how" to react to changes/situations come in to support the entire programme. It's not nitty gitty - it's not kiasu or kiasi - but just to reduce as much mistakes as possible - indirectly saving us to do damage control and wasting time to re-act to it...

OK... will continue to eat that frog on my way home... shall chew and chew...

No comments: